This elegant structure, locally known as The Grey Lady, was completed in 1875 and commissioned by William R. Johnston, co-owner of Livingston, Johnston and Company, which specialized in manufacturing of wholesale clothing. The residence was designed by the Toronto architectural firm, Langley and Burke.
William R. Johnston lived in the house with his family until 1916.
Between 1941 and 1970, the residence was converted to offices for the National Council Y.W.C.A., by architect Gordon West.
In 1983, Grey Lady Corporation took over the residence. and in the 1990’s it housed the law firm of Ian Outerbridge. In 2000, Casey House acquired the property and runs its outreach services from the house.